Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

My Breakfast Phase

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

*Update - this recipe won me ice cream for a year from Sassy Cow Creamery in Columbus, Wisconsin. Yay for ice cream!


I've been on this breakfast kick lately and I just can't get enough of it. There's something about waking up in the morning to the smell of coffee brewing and either oatmeal in the crock-pot or something in the fridge that can be baked in the next half hour. I'll include the oatmeal recipe soon - it's not perfected yet.
I have perfected this recipe though - or so I think. I've made it so many times that my husband automatically checks the oven when he comes in from milking cows in the morning. He's somewhat disappointed if there's nothing there. I'll need to find a new recipe to try.

My dad wasn't quite convinced of this 'sweet' version, so I made a savory one for him this morning (included below). My mom is wanting the recipe so she can make it herself. Though I haven't minded having someone to share it with to avoid too many leftovers. It's pretty good re-heated, but not everyone can enjoy leftovers.
So what should I try next? My only requirement is that it has to be able to be prepared the night before.



Strawberry, Banana and Croissant Breakfast Bake


4-6 medium croissants, cut in half
2 bananas, sliced
1/2 cup strawberry preserves
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar or honey
4 eggs, beaten

In an 8×8 square baking dish, evenly place bottom halves of croissants, face down. Next, spread around the banana slices over the croissant halves. Top the banana slices with spread-out dollops of strawberry preserves.

In a glass measuring bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, sugar and eggs. Pour half of the mixture over the croissant/banana/preserves. Top with the remaining croissant halves, round side up. Evenly cover with remaining egg mixture.

Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour, up to overnight. *I make it the night before so it’s ready for breakfast the next morning.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place dish in oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes. It should no longer jiggle.

Serve warm.

Savory Version: 


Use the same recipe above, but do not add strawberry preserves, sliced bananas and sugar. Instead, use cooked sausage and shredded cheese. I used about 6 diced sausage links and about 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese. You could use any kind of cheese you like as well as any type of sausage (Italian would be tasty).

0 comments:

Post a Comment