Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Steamed, Suet Pudding

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sounds awful right? I know, but it's not.  The April Daring Baker's Challenge was to make Suet Pudding. The first time I read it, I puked a little in my mouth. Then I realized that I could use Crisco instead... and I did. Yes, I did grow up on a farm and yes, I can handle some good fat in my food - but... suet?
I have to admit, it wasn't all bad. I chose to make the 'sponge' form of suet pudding versus the pastry crust. It just seemed more like something I would eat. I drizzled vanilla bean caramel, by Fat Toad, over the top. Delish! I'm definitely a sucker for sweet foods, so I avoided the 'meaty' versions that were given as options for this challenge. I recommend you give this a try. Just for fun.

Steamed Suet Pudding
sponge type

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 c. breadcrumbs
3/4 c. Caster sugar
3/4 c. shredded suet (or Crisco)
1 large egg
6-8 tablespoons cold milk

1| Sift flour, salt and baking powder into bowl.
2| Add breadcrumbs, sugar and suet.
3| Mix to a soft batter with beaten egg and milk.
4| Turn into a buttered 2 pint pudding basin and cover securely with buttered greaseproof paper or aluminum foil. (basically create a double boiler with a large mixing bowl and saucepan).
5| Steam steadily for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
6| Turn out onto a warm plate and serve with sweet sauce to taste such as custard, caramel or a sweetened fruit sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment