Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

The French Vermonter

Thursday, November 11, 2010

The day I came home sick from work was a good day. I had this big box from California with two loaves of bread in it. Nature's Pride partnered with FoodBuzz, I signed up for product testing with FoodBuzz, Nature's Pride sends me bread. Deal. 

Were there requirements for using the bread? No. I could do whatever I wanted with it. In fact, I made a regular grilled cheese sandwich that day to go along with my tomato soup. I did want to do something a little 'extra' though, so I came up with my own version of a Vermonter.  The Vermonter is a sandwich with Vermont cheddar, sliced turkey and thinly sliced apples. Every sandwich shop around here has'm. 

My version involves bacon, maple smoked cheddar and sliced turkey. The kicker? French toast with maple syrup. 

The French Vermonter
Serves 2


Ingredients
3 eggs
1/2 c cream
2 Tbls Real maple syrup
1 apple, thinly sliced
10 slices of deli turkey
4 slices fried bacon
2 slices maple smoked cheddar
4 slices whole wheat bread
2 Tbls. butter

Directions
Heat up a large frying pan or panini maker on medium heat. Toss the butter in the pan.

Whisk together the eggs, cream and maple syrup in a shallow baking dish. Dip one side of each slice of bread into the egg mixture. Place the dipped side onto the hot frying pan.
Once browned, place bread slices onto a plate, raw sides down.
Place 5 slices of turkey, 2 slices of bacon, 2 apple slices and 1 piece of cheese onto each of two pieces of bread. Lay the spare bread on top of the layers, cooked side down - raw side up.

Carefully dip each sandwich into the egg mixture.
Fry each side of the sandwich in the fry pan - just as you would a piece of French toast.
Until each side is toasty brown.
Cut the sandwich in any direction you desire. My husband likes them cut diagonally (even though I forgot here..).

I served these up with some sweet potato slices, grilled up in a pan with some butter, salt & pepper. Let me tell you - you will not be hungry after this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment