Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

When your husband actually tells you what he wants for lunch...

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Good things happen. I had some frozen bread dough thawing since early this morning, so my husband decided we should make soup bread bowls. He volunteered to do the bread part and I made the soup. I wanted to make a creamy chicken-based soup, so I found a creamy, corn and chicken soup recipe. I realized that my potatoes went into 'growing' mode, so I wasn't able to use them. I decided to look up a new recipe that didn't involve potatoes. Chicken mushroom soup? Ok. I changed a lot of the recipe, so here it goes:

Chicken Mushroom Soup
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, diced
1/2 cup diced carrot
12 -16 oz sliced mushrooms (I used canned, because that's what I had on hand.)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T diced onion
2 T flour (or more depending on desired consistency)
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
Ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a large saucepan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add diced chicken and carrot; cook, stirring until chicken is nearly cooked through. Add the mushrooms, garlic and onions; continue cooking, stirring, until mushrooms are tender. Stir in the flour until blended; add chicken broth and thyme. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook for about 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste; stir in cream and heat through.

Note: I ended up adding some corn starch, mixed in water - because the soup wasn't as thick as I wanted.

Bread Bowl
Serves 4

1 roll thawed bread dough
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 375*. Take thawed bread dough, cut it into four parts.


Roll each section into 8 inch circles. Place four bowls on a cookie sheet and brush them with oil (or spray with vegetable spray).






Form the dough around the bowls, using water on the edge of each circle to create a small ridge.





Place in oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.








Separate bowls from bread very carefully and let cool on rack.








1 comments:

Lana said...

Yummy! This makes me want to make my own bread bowls!

May 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Post a Comment