Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Brunswick Stew

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Daring Kitchen Cooks had us make a very comforting stew. The entire recipe and story behind Brunswick Stew can be found here. I chose the 'shortened' recipe, simply because I didn't have a full day to make it. I also forgot to buy the best ingredient when I went grocery shopping... bacon. My sister made me feel better by saying 'bacon usually gets soggy in stew anyways.' Ok cool.  Another thing - for some reason, I have a really hard time making stews. It always ends up as a soup. I think I worry that it's going to dry up if I don't add enough liquid, so then it stays, well... 'soupy'.  It's pretty tasty though, and I'm glad I invested in some poultry seasoning. Delish.

Brunswick Stew
The Shortened Version


Ingredients
2 1/2 lb TOTAL diced stewed chicken, turkey and ham, with broth (all three meats!)
3 medium-to-small diced potatoes
2 medium ripe crushed tomatoes (I used a can of diced tomatoes, drained)
2 medium diced onions
3 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans (I used mini ones!)
4-5 strips crumbled bacon (the part I forgot *tear)
1/2 stick butter
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon poultry seasoning
Dash of red pepper
2 diced carrots
Tomato juice

Directions
In large stock pot or Dutch oven, mix all ingredients, heat until bubbly and hot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato juice as desired. Cook until all vegetables are tender. Serve hot.




1 comments:

Jo said...

Your stew looks great. I too did a shorter version of the original recipe.

April 15, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Post a Comment