Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

The Chili to End a Decade

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The snow was falling down pretty heavily today. I sat in an office with a fairly small window dreaming of the fabulous chili I was going to make once I got home. It's amazing how many recipes there are for chili. I usually make my mom's version - which isn't totally chili, more like hamburger/bean dip. It's fabulous, none-the-less.

But today, I found a recipe from one of my favorite cooks - Bobby Flay. The recipe involved beer, so I was sold after reading the ingredients. I didn't completely follow his recipe line per line, so I'm going to write my version below. If you would like the original version, click here. I also made some cornbread pancakes to go with the chili. Yum. My version is called - Chili to End a Decade, fitting right? Pretty sure it's New Year's Eve and I'm sitting here writing a blog. Don't worry, my drink is sitting right next to me. I'm not that boring.















Chili to End a Decade  
Serves 6
2 pounds ground beef
Salt and Pepper
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bottle of your favorite beer, I used Hennepin
4 cups chicken broth
1 stewed tomato (I didn't have any canned, so I stewed it myself)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
Avocado Relish, recipe follows

Directions
Brown ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Transfer the meat to a bowl and remove all but 3 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chili and cayenne peppers, stir. Add the beer and cook until completely reduced.  Return the beef to the pot, add the chicken broth, tomatoes and honey. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 45 minutes. [At this point, you can put the avocado relish together.] Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, add some shredded cheese, sour cream and the avocado relish. Eat with the cornbread pancake. Feel your tummy getting warm and full.

Avocado Relish
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 shallot or 1/2 of a small onion, finely diced
lime juice
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Cornbread Pancakes
Follow instructions on package for Cornmeal. The only difference is that you make them as pancakes instead of bread, in a 9x9 pan. I halved the recipe and it came out with 6, good-sized pancakes.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!




1 comments:

Lana said...

I need to try this. As soon as I saw the avocado relish on top, I knew I had to. Oh and glad to hear you were drinking while writing the blog!

January 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Post a Comment