Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Princess Kay of the Milky Way...a 60 year tradition!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Well... maybe 27 years for me, but none the less, it's a big deal. Princess Kay of the Milky Way - if you've never heard of her, you're about to.

See - when I was a little girl, my parents, sisters and I would get on the county-organized bus to ride down to the Twin Cities and watch the coronation of Princess Kay of the Milky Way. I always went. Even if I had eye surgery that day. I had a minor cyst under my eye, but that's besides the point. She was who I dreamed of being some day. This girl that got to be at the Minnesota State Fair every single day (12 days) and talk with people about how good milk is and how much we love our cows. I literally dreamed about it.


If you've kept up with my blog, you already know that I was a Princess Kay finalist back in 2006. No, I didn't win the big crown, but I still got to walk around the Minnesota State Fair for a few days representing the few thousand dairy farmers in our state. I worked in the milking parlor at the Moo Booth for the remainder days - so I still got to spread my annoying love for cows and dairy products.

My point is - that on that bus ride to the bandshell at the Minnesota State Fair - we got a Milky Way candy bar for dessert. Every year. I think it was the only time I would eat a Milky Way candy bar. So I decided to bring back memories, celebrate Princess Kay's 60th and make some homemade Milky Way bars. It's actually quite easy, but way better because you can make them as big as you want.

Tonight's the coronation - I can't wait!

Princess Kay of the Milky Way Bars

Ingredients
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 7oz container marshmallow cream
Caramel (this could be Kraft caramels, homemade caramel, I used leftover caramel from Christmas)
2 cups milk chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions
Line an 8 inch square pan with wax or parchment paper.

Over a double-boiler, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat melted chocolate for about 30 seconds. Add marshmallow cream to melted chocolate and beat until well combined and fluffy, 30-60 seconds more.

Spread chocolate mixture evenly into prepared pan with a rubber spatula. Place in freezer for 15-30 minutes.


Melt the caramel; allow to cool slightly. Spread all of the caramel on top of the frozen chocolate mixture. Return to freezer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt milk chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and stir until well combined.


Remove pan from freezer and turn chocolate mixture onto a cutting board; cut into the size you'd like your candy bars. Dip frozen chocolate squares into melted chocolate to coat. Place on wax paper or cooling rack to set. Keep chocolates in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

So good!


1 comments:

The Internet Cooking Princess said...

I just made these for my Secret Santa - and I'm not sure if I can give them to her now. These are WAY better than run of the mill Milky Ways! Great recipe, lady.

December 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Post a Comment