Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Raz-Express Chocolate Cookies

Thursday, May 19, 2011


I occasionally get requests from family members for specific recipes - and I usually have one on hand. This one stumped me for a second: 
Soooo yesterday I ate a bite of choc/expresso cookie while drinking raspberry tea. Yes, I am now down on my knees here in California, begging that if you have a recipe that combines raspberry, chocolate, and coffee/expresso in one cookie, that you share with me. Yes? maybe? please? 
I soon remembered making a sour cherry chocolate cookie once and remembered that it was awesome. So I headed over to the grocery store after work and bought some dark cocoa powder, imitation raspberry extract and some more chocolate chips - just in case.  I knew that I already had powdered cappuccino mix at home. My friends - this is a time when I can honestly say that I impressed myself. Melissa - you're going to love me.

Raz-Express Chocolate Cookies
Makes 2 dozen larger cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons instant cappuccino powder
3/4 cup Hershey's dark cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons imitation raspberry extract
Sanding sugar, for rolling

Sift together flour, instant cappuccino, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and raspberry, and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add flour mixture; beat to combine. Form dough into a flattened disk, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour (or 1/2 hour in freezer).

Preheat oven to 350*F. Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls (use either a tablespoon or a 1-inch icecream scoop). Roll each ball in sanding sugar. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper, about 1 1/2 inches apart. (This is important to prevent them from sticking to each other. They will spread out!)

Bake until set, 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through. Transfer to a rack to cool for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies from baking sheet to wire rack. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

*They're chewy, chocolaty and have just a hint of raspberry and mocha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment