Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Next Year I'll Be Five!

Saturday, April 9, 2011


A few weeks ago, I got to spend the day with my family for my niece's 4th birthday. As soon as I got to the door, she came running up to me, nearly screaming at the top of her lungs "did you know that tomorrow's my birthday?! and that means next year I'll be 5 so I can go to kindergarten!" 

Oh to be that excited about school again.

The birthday fairy wanted a pink cake, so my sister and I created a strawberry cake with white cake mix and attempted to make it as pink as possible. Once it was done baking my niece says "it's not pink - it's orange." Well, baking something does add a little 'brown tint' on things - so fortunately we had some pink frosting. All was good in the life of a four year old.

Strawberry Birthday Cake for Almost 5 Year Olds

1 box white cake mix (including eggs, and oil)
1, 8 oz bag frozen strawberries, thawed

Preheat oven according to directions on the back of the mix packaging.
Mix cake batter according to the back of the packaging, but leave out the water.  Mix in the thawed strawberries and stir batter.  If batter seems too thick (though it will be a little thicker than normal) feel free to add some water, about 1/4 cup.
Pour batter into two greased, round baking pans and place in the oven. Bake according to directions on the back of the mix package.
Once the cake has been removed from the oven and fully cooled - frost with strawberry frosting and decorate according to the party theme. 

*Note: the cake will be a little more dense than usual - but the strawberry flavor is pretty wonderful. Feel free to experiment with this - as that's all we were doing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment