Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Blackberry and Pear Crisp

Monday, January 10, 2011


Every day at about 1:00pm, I get an email from FoodBuzz with the Top 9 food blogs of the day (according to them, that is).  It is here that I typically get my inspiration for either dinner that night, or a fun new thing to try over the weekend.  There are many people that are successful at menu planning, but I simply can't get myself to follow it. There are way too many options out there - and with the food blogging world, it's never-ending. But I love it. It's like fishing, really. I want it to look good, taste good and be easy to prepare.

Last week's Top 9 included a blog by a man named Michael.  His blog name is Verses from my Kitchen.  My first impression of his blog was the top photo - a neatly organized meal planner. Someday.  He made this blackberry and pear crumble that instantly makes you drool when you see it. Be sure to take a look at his photos as they are inspiring.

His recipe is below. The only change I made was the omission of pistachios in the topping. Needless to say, my husband wasn't too thrilled that I skipped them - but I simply didn't have any around. Sad day.

Blackberry & Pear Crumbles
Yields: 2

Ingredients
2 large ripe pears, peeled and roughly chopped
1 package blackberries, about 1 cup
4 tbsp. granulated sugar
3/4 stick of butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
small handful pistachios, rough chop

Directions:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the chopped pears in a medium saute pan and add the sugar. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, enough time for the pear bits to soften and release their juices.
Add the blackberries and bring back up to medium heat and mix together. Remove from the stove.

Place the crumble mixture into a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until fully combined and coarse. Add the pistachio pieces and stir.

Spoon the fruit mixture into 2 individual ramekins or a larger ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the crumble even over top. 

Bake for 45 minutes or until the juices start to run up and over the edge and the crumble mixture is golden brown.

Serve alone or with ice cream..

0 comments:

Post a Comment