Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Baked Apples - with a Surprise

Sunday, December 12, 2010

My mom used to make baked apples all the time when I was growing up. She may still make them a lot, but I'm not at home to enjoy them. They're so easy to make and so dang sweet and delicious, that I had to share mine with you.

You're probably wondering what the surprise is. Well, I grabbed two bags - one was dried cranberries and the other was dried cherries. I asked my husband which he preferred and he voted for the cherries.  So I decided to stick about three dried cherries at the bottom of each apple. They added a tartness and meaty texture that the apple alone, couldn't provide. I recommend it.

Baked Apples

Ingredients
4 large to medium-sized apples, cored
4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup maple syrup

Directions
Heat oven to 350*F.

Combine all ingredients, besides the apples, with hands until chunky, but combined.  Place apples in small ramekins or a baking dish. Stuff each apple with equal amounts of filling.  Place in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes - or until browned and bubbly.

Pull out of the oven and let sit for a few minutes.  Gently pour maple syrup and cream over each apple. Grab a spoon or fork and enjoy!

*I served the apples with my favorite butternut squash soup.



1 comments:

Renata said...

Love it!

December 13, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Post a Comment