Three Cheese Macaroni

Comfort Food: Lasagna

BBQ Grilled Cheese

Pork Sandwiches

Tiramisu

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Notice how simple my title is this time? It contradicts this entire Daring Challenge Bake for the month of February. I'm just trying to make a point. Have you ever made tiramisu? Have you ever made it completely from scratch? I doubt it; and I don't recommend it. The fact is, I have never really been a big fan of tiramisu, but this month's challenge forced me to make it. I thought, if I make it myself, maybe I can alter some of the flavors a bit - and actually like it. While, that ended up being true, going through this process has simply made me never to want to make it again.

Here's what we had to do:

1. Zabaglione - a thick custard-like flavor essential for tiramisu (I think I slightly burned                            mine, but I couldn't tell in the end product).

2. Pastry Cream - DELICIOUS. I may make this for something else. It's fairly easy to make and tastes awesome.

3. Whipped Cream - simple, I can do that

4. 2 Cups of Coffee - that's simple too, I do that in my sleep (I have a timed coffee maker) I added some caramel Baileys to this - yum.

5. Savoiardi Biscuits or, LadyFingers - These took a lot less time than I expected, but don't taste very good by themselves. I would consider making these for a pudding dessert with some berries... mmm.


6. Mascarpone Cheese - You're all probably thinking - 'Ooh! Alise gets to make her own cheese!' I thought the same thing, until I was convinced that I ruined it and that my cheesemaking dreams were over.  It was runny and didn't seem to ever really 'curdle'. Luckily, I let it sit in the fridge for a while - to think about what it's done to my attitude - and it actually turned out. I learned that I needed to use a stainless steel bowl, instead of a glass one for the double boiler - in order to get it up to the right temperature. Note to self for next time. Guess what I bought at Target yesterday?













I started this challenge last Tuesday - I was able to try it today (today's Sunday). That's how long it took me! Ok, so may have procrastinated and I didn't work on it every night, but I couldn't believe it. Next time, I'm going to buy the cookies and the mascarpone and just put it all together.
The reason I ended up liking it, is because I didn't use such strong coffee - and I didn't use any kind of wine (I couldn't find Port wine or Marsala anywhere! Thanks VT.) The pastry cream seriously did it for me. Dream come true.

So, if you have some time on your hands and really want to challenge yourself to making some homemade tiramisu, check out the recipe HERE. Let me know how it goes. I wish nothing but better luck for you.

I couldn't resist.












0 comments:

Post a Comment